575-678-3978, DSN 258-3978
Mission & Scope
The mission of the Internal Review Office is to provide independent, objective assurance and consulting services designed to add value and improve Team WSMR’s operations. By providing assurance on the Team WSMR’s risk management, control, and governance processes, internal auditing becomes a key cornerstone for effective organizational governance.
The scope of the Internal Review Office encompasses all systems, processes, operations, functions and activities of Team WSMR, including any agencies to which a risk exists. In assessing the adequacy and effectiveness of the internal control structure, the Internal Review Office will:
- Review policies, plans, procedures, laws and regulations that could have a significant impact on operations to determine whether Team WSMR is in overall compliance
- Review the means to safeguard assets as well as the adequacy and effectiveness of applicable policies and practices
- Appraise the economy and efficiency with which resources are employed
- Review operations and programs to ascertain whether results are consistent with established objectives
- Review financial and operating information and the means used to identify, measure, classify and report such information to validate the reliability and integrity of the process
The scope of Internal Review shall be sufficiently comprehensive to enable the effective and regular review of all operation, financial, and related activities. The internal audit coverage may extend to all areas of Team WSMR and its controlled entities to include financial, accounting, administrative, logistical, and other operational activities. The extent and frequency of internal evaluations will depend upon varying circumstances such as results of previous audits, relative risk associated with activities, materiality, and the adequacy of the system of internal control, and resources available to the Internal Review Office.
The Internal Review Office is authorized to:
- Have unrestricted access to all functions, records (in both paper and electronic format), property, and personnel.
- Have full and free access to any regulatory agency to which the Garrison is held accountable.
- Allocate resources, set frequencies, Select subject, determine scopes of work, and apply the techniques required to accomplish audit objectives.
- Obtain the necessary assistance of personnel in units of the organization where they perform audits, as well as other specialized services from within or outside the organization.
Internal Review Staff are not authorized to:
- Perform any operational duties for the organization or its affiliates.
- Initiate or approve accounting transactions external to the Internal Review Office.
- Direct the activities of any organization employee not employed by the Internal Review Office except to the extent such employees have been appropriately assigned to auditing teams or to otherwise assist the internal auditors.
- Is primarily responsible for establishing and maintaining an effective system of internal review capabilities and internal controls.
- Will provide the Internal Review Office with full support and cooperation at all levels of operations.
Internal Audit Responsibilities
The Internal Review Office will:
- Develop a strategic audit plan using an appropriate risk-based methodology, including any risks or control concerns identified by management, and submit that plan to Garrison Management for review and approval.