Applications For Officer Candidate School
REFERENCE: AR 350-51
- 100% of applications processed and forwarded to Human Resources Command (HRC) OCS Board by cut-off date.
- Ensure applicants meet requirements of school and requests contain the appropriate documentation required.
- Provide applications to AG by Installation OCS Board cut-off date, which is determined based on the HRC Board cut-off date.
- Checklists and forms on disk (bring you own disk) are available at Personnel Services Branch, Bldg 465.
- Soldier prepares application (one original and two copies) and forwards through the chain of command for endorsements to AG. Applicant must be at least 18 years, and less than 30 years of age at the time of enrollment in OCS. Waivers for age may be favorably considered provided the applicant can complete 20 years of active federal service prior to his/her 55th birthday. Applicant must have transcripts, or certification from the installation education advisor, which total 90 or more semester hours of college. Applicant who has less than a Bachelor Degree must also attain a minimum score of 850 or higher on the Scholastic Assessment Test (SAT), or a minimum score of 19 or higher on the American College Test (ACT). Test scores must be less than six (6) years old. As a minimum, application must contain the following:
- Current official photograph
- DA Form 61, Application for Appointment
- Letters of Recommendation or character reference are optional.No more than four may be submitted and must be on letterhead
- DA Form 1059, i.e. PLDC, BNCOC, ANCOC evaluations (optional, but encouraged)
- Report of Change in Education Level (from Education Center )
- SAT/ACT Results
- DA Form 4187 (if applicable)
- DA Form 2-1 (ensure that all information is updated within the last 30 days)
- Enlisted Record Brief (ERB) (ensure all information is updated within the last 30 days)
- DA Form 5339-R, Unit Commander’s Evaluation Sheet, (In remarks section, Commander’s statement of applicant’s compliance with Army height and weight standards and include actual height and weight)
- DA Form 705, Army Physical Fitness Evaluation Scorecard, (with two scores and one being within 2 months of local board date)
- DA Form 5500-R, Body Fat Content Worksheet
- DA Form 483, Officer’s Assignment Preference Statement, (not available online)
- DA Form 4322-R, Army Officer Candidate Contract and Service Agreement
- DA Form 873, Security Clearance or memorandum of verification of security clearance – required before attending OCS
- Proof of citizenship (for applicants who were not born in the USA )
- Medical Examination (Type “A” medical examination within 9 months before date of application, must state physical is for OCS)
- DA Form 6256 (if requesting aviation as a first section choice)
- DA Form 785, Record of Disenrollment from Officer Candidate – Type Training if applicable
- AG ensures application is complete, applicant is qualified, and then schedules the applicant for a structured interview with the local OCS Board which consists of 3 officers (2 Captains and 1 Major). On the day of the interview, the applicant will write a one-page narrative, in pencil, titled "Why I Want To Be an Officer", and will be read by the members of the board before the applicant is interviewed. Each board member will record the results of the interview on DA Form 6285, Structured Interview Plan.
- Application, with local board results, is forwarded to HRC OCS Board for final Selection process.
- Upon receipt from HRC, response is returned to Soldier through Chain of Command.
WEBSITE CONNECTIONS: https://www.hrc.army.mil/site/protect/reserve/soldierservices/guidance/ocsprogram.htm
For Forms http://www.usapa.army.mil