Fire Prevention Week 2017 runs from Oct. 8 to 14. This year's theme is "Every Second Counts Plan 2 Ways Out". This year's theme reinforces the necessity of everyone having a fire escape plan. Seconds could mean the difference between escaping safely, or tragedy occurring within the home or the workplace. White Sands Missile Range Fire Department wants you to take time this Fire Prevention Week to reevaluate your home and workplace evacuation plans. The WSMR Fire Department will be visiting multiple locations throughout the community. The goal is to reach as many residents as possible, to share valuable knowledge that could save a life. Here is some important information in regards to developing your home and workplace evacuation plan.
- Draw a map of your home or workplace detailing all rooms, and marking two escape routes from each room to a path outside from each room. Involve the whole family and if at work ensure all employees are briefed.
- Practice your home fire drill twice a year. Conduct one at night and one during the day with everyone in your home, and practice using different ways out.
- For workplace evacuation drills contact our office, and The Fire Prevention will assist in conducting drills.
- Teach children to escape on their own in case you can't help them.
- Ensure the number of your home and workplace is clearly marked and easy for the fire department to find.
- Close doors behind you as you leave-this slows the spread of smoke, heat, and fire.
- Once you get outside, stay outside. Never go back inside a burning building.
- Make sure to designate a common meeting spot for your family or coworkers to gather after evacuating.
WSMR Fire Department wants you to practice fire safety every day. Fire Prevention Week is a great opportunity to review fire practices both at home and in the workplace.