The range is located in the Tularosa Basin of south-central New Mexico. The headquarters area is 20 miles east of Las Cruces, New Mexico, and 45 miles north of El Paso, Texas. The range boundaries extend almost 100 miles north to south by 40 miles east to west. At almost 3,200 square miles the range is the largest military installation in the country.
Directions to WSMR Main Post
From El Paso Airport:
- When you leave the El Paso Airport area, turn right onto Airway Blvd
- At the second stoplight, turn right onto Airport Rd. Airport Rd becomes Fred Wilson Blvd
- Immediately after the Fred Wilson overpass, turn right and enter Highway 54 (on ramp on the left). Continue on Highway 54 and exit on Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd, Exit 31.
- Turn left onto MLK Jr. Blvd. and stay on it (follow the signs that guide you to WSMR). It is approximately 34 miles from this point to the El Paso Gate entrance to the WSMR main post area.
- After the Cattle Guard, the speed limit drops from 65 mph to 55 mph.
- At the second Yellow Flashing light, the road makes a 90 degree right turn. The speed limit at the turn is 15 mph. Stay on the highway, and the mountains will now be on your left hand side.
From Las Cruces:
- Take Highway 25 north to Highway 70 East (Highway 70 is also called "Main Street")
- Turn right onto Highway 70 East towards WSMR or Alamogordo
- Continue on Highway 70 East for about 25 miles over the San Augustine Pass and exit just after mile marker 169.
- Turn right onto Owen Rd
- The Las Cruces/Alamogordo Main Post Gate is approximately 3 miles after the exit.
- Take Highway 70 west.
- Proceed about 47 miles to the missile range exit labeled "Headquarters" just after mile marker 172. The exit ramp loops under Highway 70 onto Owen Rd.
- The Las Cruces/Alamogordo main post gate is approximately 3 miles after you exit.
Getting a vehicle security pass at the Las Cruces or
El Paso Gates:
- Provide driver´s license, vehicle registration and proof of insurance.