White Sands Missile Range (WSMR) is located next to Ft Bliss, Texas, and Holloman Air Force Base, New Mexico. White Sands Missile Range has many advantages for testing System of Systems. The advantages are:
- WSMR has the ability to broadcast over the entire frequency spectrum including sensitive FAA frequencies.
- WSMR regulates its own airspace.
- WSMR has the ability to jam GPS for testing purposes.
- WSMR can meet many SoS component needs at a low cost.
Capabilities: WSMR provides a comprehensive array of test capabilities enabling systems of systems testing at a low cost. These capabilities can be grouped into three categories:
- Large, reconfigurable range with abundant airspace and frequency use availability.
- Varying terrain with threat representative targets and environments.
- Collaborative systems and networks at WSMR (or that can be easily moved to WSMR) so that the system of systems environment can be set up at low cost.