The Metallurgy lab functions as a support laboratory for the various services offered by White Sands Missile Range, providing non-destructive testing, failure analyses, materials evaluation and development, and mechanical testing.
The lab is equipped with a full complement of sample preparation equipment for the microstructural analysis of ferrous and non-ferrous alloys. The Metallurgy lab has a fully equipped optical microscopy room ranging from low power stereomicroscopy to scanning electron microscopy of magnifications up to 30,000X. The scanning electron microscope is equipped with digital imaging and energy dispersive x-ray analysis software.
- High Energy Portable Radiographic Inspection
- Magnetic Particle and Die Penetration Inspection
- Ultrasonic Inspection
- Particle Analysis (Identification, Size, Distribution)
- Metallurgical Evaluation (Microstructure, Grain Size, Inclusion Rating, Heat Treat Analysis, Plating Thickness, Intergranular Attack, Porosity of Metals, Ceramics, & Composites)
- Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM)
- Energy dispersive x-ray analysis
- Physical Metallurgy Analysis
- Macro/Micro/SEM Photography (Digital or Film)
- Material Failure/Repairability Analysis
- X-Ray Fluorescence (XRF)
- Macro and Microhardness (Knoop & Vickers)
- Heat Treating
The Laboratory also has a 22" Diamond Wire Guillotine Saw, and a 50,000 lb. Servo-Hydraulic Tension, Compression, Fatigue, and Fracture Toughness Testing Machine.